Digital nomad visa may be issued to an alien whose purpose of temporary stay in Estonia is to perform work duties as an employee regardless of location in Estonia.
Upon apply, it must be provided general conditions for issuing a visa (the person has a valid travel document; the purpose of applying for a visa is justified; the person has sufficient funds to cover accommodation and stay during his/her stay in Estonia and return to the country of origin or transit to a third country; a valid health insurance contract guaranteeing the payment of medical expenses due to his illness or injury during the period of validity of the visa, in the case of a multiple-entry visa until the end of the first intended period of stay). Digital nomad visa can be either long-stay (D) visa or short-stay Schengen visa (C).
When applying for a visa for the purpose of remote working, the applicant has to submit additionally:
- documents proving that the applicant’s work does not depend on location and he/she can use telecommunication technology for performing his/her duties as telework;
- documents proving that the applicant continues working for an employer registered in a foreign country with whom he/she has a contractual relationship, or business activities for a company registered in a foreign country in which he/she has holdings, or providing services mainly to customers whose place of business is in a foreign country and with whom he/she has a contractual relationship;
- documents proving the applicant’s legal income during six months before the submission of the application and showing the size, regularity and sources of the income;
- description of studies and job history (CV).
When applying for a visa for teleworking, the following proof of the facts regarding teleworking shall be submitted:
- a written explanation by the applicant regarding the intention to use the visa for teleworking
- a written confirmation by the employer stating that it is possible for the applicant to perform their work duties in the form of teleworking
- an employment contract or another contract under the law of obligations
- a certificate issued by a competent authority of the applicant’s country of location in proof of the payment of state taxes, local taxes or social security contributions mandatory in the applicant’s country of location
- a certificate issued by a competent authority of the company’s country of registered office, indicating the name, registered office and area of activity of the company, the applicant’s holdings in the company and details of the legal representatives of the company
- a certificate issued by a competent authority of the company’s country of registered office in proof of the payment of state taxes, local taxes or social security contributions mandatory in the company’s country of registered office and on the absence of tax arrears.
- any other documents.